Saturday, June 23, 2007

GALAXY POLL

"We've done the research and it's a landslide.

A GetUp-commissioned Galaxy poll last weekend reveals a whopping 71 per cent of Australians, including 63 per cent of Coalition voters, believe same s-x* couples should have the same rights as heterosexual couples in de facto relationships.

These results should make all Australians proud. Yet on Friday, the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission released its year-long inquiry into same sex discrimination which reveals that discrimination remains ingrained in 58 pieces of federal legislation.

From superannuation and workers' compensation to Medicare, tax and pensions, Australians are treated like second-class citizens purely on the basis of their sexual orientation."

Thank you John Howard, your prejudice about gay pride is still enshrined. Unfortunately little Kevie doesn't seem to be much better and I can't see a pay rise getting the kind of politician that anti-discrimination needs.

You can sign the petition here http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/EqualBeforetheLaw

UPDATE: 15,039 signatures so far, click the link as we're aiming for 20,000

6 comments:

Kelly & Sam Pilgrim-Byrne said...

Thanks, JT. And here's the link for readers to sign the GetUp! petition to remove discrimination:

www.getup.org.au/campaign/EqualBeforetheLaw

Please sign it and send it on. We're aiming for 10,000 sigs.

JahTeh said...

Thanks girls, I had forgotten about the link, I'll put it in.

Ann ODyne said...

I pray, because it is possible, that Little RichardHoward the son who is far away in Washington DC being an intern at The White Bush House, is possibly, just possibly, faraway from home because he has yet to Come Out.

it's possible ...

JahTeh said...

You are really an evil brownie.
Damn that would be so fine, wouldn't it. Even better would be a white wedding in Canada.

Gay Curmudgeon said...

Greetings,
I already dropped by The Muriels to mention this, but in a recent SMH article the Federal Member for Gwydir, John Anderson said:

However, former Nationals leader John Anderson was sceptical about whether gays and lesbians should be given more rights.

"It depends what they mean by rights," Mr Anderson told reporters.

"I think I have to say that I think there ought to be positive discrimination in favour of traditional marriages.

"Beyond that in other areas I think it's a matter of pointing out, apart from anything else, that I find it very hard to identify any rights that they don't have."


I've started a campaign to have people e-mail the full 2,331kb HREOC "Same-sex: Same entitlements" report to Mr Anderson so he will be much better informed next time he's asked for a similar quote. I wonder how many copies we could get sent to him if we really try?

I'd be most grateful if you'd spread it around. You can find all the links at my blog:

http://gaycurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2007/06/john-anderson-mp-needs-our-help.html

~GC
P.s. I'm really interested in seeing what I can find out about Mr Howard's son now....

JahTeh said...

I've been to your blog already and laughed at your post. It won't work with him, you have to go through his wife. She believes in God and John, said so at the last election.