Monday, February 11, 2008

THEY'RE A FUNNY MOB, NEW ZEALANDERS

For a start they call this recipe, Mousetraps.

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 small block loaf of bread,
cut into 8 thick slices, toasted
100g sliced leg ham
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
Method
Preheat a grill on medium-high heat. Place toast, in a single layer, on a baking tray. Top with ham.
Beat egg yolks in a bowl until well combined. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl until stiff peaks form. Stir half the eggwhites into cheese mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in remaining eggwhites. Spoon mixture over ham. Place mousetraps under hot grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until egg mixture is golden and cooked through. Serve.



Seems a lot of trouble for what's basically grilled cheese. And they still claim Pavlova for their own.

7 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

I don't know about Mousetraps. High Cholestral Flab Traps and Artery Blocking Heart Attack Inducers, I'd call them.

Then again, Mousetraps is a bit shorter and more convenient for everyday usage.

JahTeh said...

I bet your cat would love them and anyway you eat tripe and pork chops when the butcher doesn't shortchange you.

Brian Hughes said...

Witchy,

I didn't say I wouldn't eat one. It's just that my arteries'd be creaking afterwards. (It's not a good idea giving cheese to the cat, though...not unless I want a big mound of puke all over the hearth rug.)

JahTeh said...

My cats used to love cheese. I have a fantastic photo of Kitty sitting next to a very drunk friend who is holding a beer while the cat has a claw full of the best camembert right off the plate.

Middle Child said...

One of jy brother in laws is a kiwi...it figures...hmmm

Stegetronium said...

Err...I'll give this one a miss I think.

JahTeh said...

Mikhela, with the twins you'd never get time to make this let alone eat it. I can't believe how much they've grown in the last few weeks.