Friday, July 11, 2008

SNIVELLING WITH GRATITUDE

I am, believe it. I've been cradling the keyboard for the last five minutes and chewing nails down to fingers.
Two days without my lifeline, my internet, my blog, I even missed Robbbert. (I've given him 3 b's for happiness)
I was even sweet to the tech support Peter Sellers imitator.
Nothing wrong with connecting to the internet just the computer not letting me load pages or emails with a little message saying "server not found".
Tech support took me through all the default settings, nothing wrong there so he suggested it might be the anti-virus. Turned off all security, nothing, so turned it back on.
Then I found something called system restore, shiny. Just pick a highlighted date which has restore points and click. Back to July 1st, before children downloading MySpace/youtubes and I was in business.
All I have to do is remember where I found it.
The joy of seeing a page load.
Checked in with blogger dashboard. It's official I have a big mouth, 769 posts since October 2005.
This internet thing is almost as good as chocolate and gin, almost.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

You're restrained - I'd have been chewing the keyboard itself!
Also check all your updates are not automatic (in Control Panel) - had a Windows update recently that did the "server not found" nonsense to mine, had to hop in the Tardis and do a system restore.

JahTeh said...

Funny you should say that but I had two updates just before it went pear-shaped. And another has just automatic-ed itself. I will check the control panel. I'm sticking with XP, not having anything to do with 7 or Vista.

JahTeh said...

Installation of Microsoft Update KB951748 may result in loss of Internet connectivity.
Click here for more information on how to resolve this issue.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Thank you,
ZoneAlarm

Looks like you were quite right Jayne.

Middle Child said...

System restore ROCKS don't it?

Jayne said...

Yep, I got that message from Zonealarm this arvo, too, J.
XP here as well, can't be bothered with the problems in 7 or Vista when I'm still ironing out the ones in this lol.

JahTeh said...

Jayne, would you believe microsoft reinstalled it last night so I had to remove it again this morning.

Well it does now that I know where to find it, Therese.