Sunday, August 24, 2008

STILL VIRUSING

I'm still not sleeping well so I've been staying in the warm in front of the TV to the wee small hours.
I don't know what I'd do without a remote control, going from Channel 7 to Star Wars to SBS.

There was a bit of a snarky item in the Age this morning about two Olympic sports:
"Rhythmic gymnastics. The dry-land equivalent of synchronised swimming and just as silly......."
"Men's handball. A sport created by people who couldn't make the basketball or soccer team and played by countries who aren't very good at anything else......"

I don't see the difference between handball and beach volleyball except maybe more clothes but it still takes skill and this is coming from someone who's lucky to catch a cold. (I was ambushed by this virus, I didn't catch it)

The Rhythmic gymnastics which I landed on during my late night channel surfing was a joy. Maybe the heats weren't as good, I didn't see them just the finalists with the twirling ribbons. I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time so the idea of twirling a long silk ribbon and twirling a body with graceful moves without falling over doesn't seem to be silly just really difficult plus.

I'll be glad when it's all over. I'm sick of bursting into tears everytime the green and gold gets a medal and I did last night at the diving. I don't think I took a breath during M's dive and I loved the look on his face and his tears when he saw the score.

I'm not a sports fan so I'm blaming all this emotionality on this stupid virus. The bugs are going for a gold medal in endurance body destruction.

9 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

"I'm not a sports fan so I'm blaming all this emotionality on this stupid virus."

If you're enjoying the Olympics, I reckon you ought to see a psychiatrist rather than a doctor.

Davoh said...

Hughes is a crusty old c... errm, biscuit. Will be interested to read what he says in 2012 (if he's still alive). Have to admit to the occasional eye dribble when watching the efforts of "our" kiddies; and am supposed to be slim, sylph and healthy .. Oh well .. heh.

River said...

I love the rhythmic gymnastics. I'd give my wisdom teeth to have that kind of flexibility and grace.

Ann ODyne said...

Melbourne comedian Jane Turner's finest career-erformance was her rhythmic gymnast skit - I do wish I could remember which of her shows it was part of.

I agree with Hughsie above, and also with River.
One reason to loathe the Olympics is the pain of witnessing anybody lithe or taut. pain, I said.

get well soon Coppy

Jayne said...

My idea of sports is walking from the kitchen to my chair past the sulking exercise bike.

Frank said...

I haven't seen much (not that interested in sport either) but I lost it completely when I saw a replay of Mitcham's winning dive. Good on him!

JahTeh said...

I'm not really enjoying them except as an excuse to have a bawl.

Davo, love the look on their faces if they win any colour medal and there seemed to be a lot of unexpected wins this time out.

River, it is so graceful. I'm not fussed about the ball or the clubs but the ribbon twirling gets me. Very hard to pivot on one foot with the other behind your ear and make pretty patterns with the ribbon. A bit like walk, talk, chew gum and cook a four course meal at the same time.

Annie O, do you mean you didn't get up in the lounge and have a twirl around?

Jayne, you mean the bike isn't in front of the Teev? You could have imagined yourself on the bmx track although I have been known to fall off an exercise bike trying to reach the ground.

Frank, it was just the best because he fought all the way to the top and never gave up.

Kath Lockett said...

Oh ignore that cynical old Brian Hughes, I cried too during the Olympics and I'm normally a farty old cynic. I blame the flu too

JahTeh said...

Kath, you should see him sob up when he finds anything ancient roman in a field. (that is not a Sedgwick joke)